1/5 Photos of Royal Blue Velvet Cake
1 hr 34 mins
1 hr 4 mins
I was on FaceBook and the stunning photo for this popped up on the side bar. I just had to make this! EXPERT TIPS: To achieve the royal blue velvet color, remember the toothpickful of violet paste food color; if forgotten, the cake will bake up turquoise in color. Paste food color will create the royal blue velvet color; liquid or gel food color may not get you the desired results. My grocery store didn't carry the food color pastes; I found them at a crafts store in the Wilton baking section; they are also called "icing color". This cake is so fun to make, present, and delicious enough that this may become my signature cake in the future. I recommend making it way in advance as it needs time to "sit" in order to control the cake layers from the frosting and to harden the candy garnish. NUTRITION INFORMATION per serving: Calories 390 (Calories from Fat 170), Total Fat 19g (Saturated Fat 9g, Trans Fat 1/2g), Cholesterol 75mg; Sodium 340mg, Total Carbohydrate 53g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 39g), Protein 3g; Percent Daily Value: Vitamin A 8.00%, Vitamin C 0.00%, Calcium 8.00%, Iron 4.00%, Exchanges: 1 Starch, 0 Fruit, 2 ½ Other Carbohydrate, 0 Skim Milk, 0 Low-Fat Milk, 0 Milk, 0 Vegetable, 0 Very Lean Meat, 0 Lean Meat, 0 High-Fat Meat, 3 ½ Fat, Carbohydrate Choices 3 ½, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (16 1/4 ounce) box white cake mix (Betty Crocker SuperMoist)
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons royal blue paste food coloring
- 1 toothpickful violet paste food coloring
- 1 (7 ounce) jar marshmallow creme
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
CANDY GARNISH (OPTIONAL)
- 1Heat oven to 325°F Prepare three 8-inch round cake pans by greasing and lightly flouring the bottoms and sides; alternatively, spray with baking spray with flour.
- 2Add cake ingredients to large bowl and beat with electric mixer on low speed about 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium and beat 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- 3Divide batter among pans. Bake 22 to 27 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched in center. Cool 15 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely.
- 4Add marshmallow crème into large microwavable bowl. Microwave uncovered on High 15 to 20 seconds to soften. Add butter. Beat with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Beat in powdered sugar and salt until smooth.
- 5If needed, trim tops of 2 cake layers to flatten before assembling. Place one cake layer, top side down, on cake plate; spread with 1/3 cup frosting. Top with second layer, top side down; spread it with 1/3 cup frosting. Top with untrimmed cake layer, top side up. Frost side and top of cake with remaining frosting. Cover loosely for storing.
- 6For the optional candy garnish, line a cookie sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray. Add sugar, corn syrup, and water to 2-quart saucepan and stir together over medium heat until sugar dissolves; heat to boiling. Without stirring, heat to 300°F to 310°F, or until a small amount of syrup dropped into cold forms hard, brittle threads. Remove from heat and stir in desired amount of blue food color. Pour onto cookie sheet in random design. Let cool, and break into pieces. Garnish cake with candy pieces as desired.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Royal Blue Velvet Cake
Serving Size: 1 (134 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 478.2
- Calories from Fat 183
- Total Fat 20.3 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 66.1 mg
- Sodium 356.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 56.3 g
- Protein 3.4 g