Recipe by Vino Girl
From Gooseberry Patch. The dough needs to be refrigerated for a couple of days before baking in order to allow the spices to blend, so allow extra time for that.
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup almonds, slivered
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter, shortening, and both sugars together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs.
- Combine dry ingredients in another (large) bowl.
- Stir creamed mixture and nuts into the flour mixture.
- Shape dough into three 9" x 1 1/2" rolls.
- Wrap each roll in wax paper and refrigerate for 2-3 days.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Cut dough into 1/4" thick slices and place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until set.
- Remove cookies from baking sheets and cool on wire racks.