1/4 Photos of Roy Rogers Crispy Fried Chicken - Copycat
Posted in response to a request and located in an online search. Roy Rogers® was a huge fast-food chain in the eastern U.S. The chain was unique because not only did they offer-up burgers, but fried chicken as well. People really enjoyed their chicken. In fact, to this day there are arguments over who had better chicken---Roy Rogers® or KFC®. Hardees® bought the chain, and eventually phased it out---much like they did with Burger-Chef®. This is a "per-serving" recipe. Multiply by number of servings. (One serving= 3 drumsticks). Prep time is estimated.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Accent seasoning (msg)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 3 chicken drumsticks
- vegetable oil, for deep-fryer
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered egg whites
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1Pre-heat your deep fryer to 375°. In a mixing bowl, blend egg whites and milk with a wire whisk -- set aside.(Make sure they're mixed thoroughly--somewhat "frothy".).
- 2Measure dry ingredients into a gallon sized Zip Lock type bag, close, and shake well to mix.
- 3Generously coat the drumsticks with the milk-egg mixture, and place them in the bag of seasonings. (I recommend doing 3 at a time) Then shake the bag until well coated.
- 4Drop into deep fryer and allow to cook 15 minutes. (Fry no more than 9 at a time -- and if cooking 9, go 18-22 min, eyeball 'em) When the drumsticks are done, they will be a dark golden brown.
- 5Remove crispy chicken and drain on a paper towel lined plate. CAUTION! They will be very HOT, so allow them to cool 5-8 minutes before serving.
- 6Note: You can remove the skin for "skinless crispy chicken" if you prefer.
- 7Note 2: Try this coating recipe and cooking method with CHICKEN TENDERS. Just cut up boneless breasts into bite sized pieces, coat with milk-egg/seasoning and deep fry.
- 8Note 3: You can also use this coating and cooking method for wings, thighs, breasts etc. Just be sure to coat well and adjust cooking time for the different sizes of chicken.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roy Rogers Crispy Fried Chicken - Copycat
Serving Size: 1 (295 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 466.5
- Calories from Fat 188
- Total Fat 20.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 183.8 mg
- Sodium 2545.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 46.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: