Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
In my search for a new round steak recipe, I found this. The gravy is amazing! Beef round steak, slowly oven-braised in a seasoned beer and beef broth until fork-tender. Serve with mashed potatoes or egg noodles. I have made some minor revisions. Inspired by and Source: CooksRecipes.com
- 907.18 g round steaks, 1-inch thick, can use thinner thickness
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml ground black pepper
- nonstick cooking spray, to coat
- 14.79 ml canola oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 113.39 g fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1.23-2.46 ml dried thyme, I used 1/2 t will use less next time
- 236.59 ml beer, any type worksI used light
- 29.58 ml butter
- 29.58 ml all-purpose flour
- 396.89 g beef broth
- 113.39 g tomato sauce or 14.79 ml tomato paste
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Season steak with salt and pepper.
- You can cut into large pieces or slice into 1" wide strips.
- Preheat a Dutch Oven, over medium-high heat. Spray with vegetable cooking spray and add 2 t canola oil.
- Brown steak on both sides; Set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium; add more canola oil if necessary . Cook onions until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Pour beer into Dutch Oven and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom. Add the steak strips back to the Dutch Oven. Arrange onions on top of steak. Add bay leaf and sprinkle with thyme.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat; whisk in flour and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Continue to whisk while pouring broth into pan in a slow, steady stream. Whisk in tomato sauce or paste and bring to a boil.
- Pour gravy over steak and onions. Top with sliced mushrooms.
- Cover and bake until tender, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Remove bay leaf before serving.
- Makes 4 servings.