Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Very good comfort food!
- 680.38 g round steaks
- 14.79 ml oil
- 2 (49.32 g) envelope brown gravy mix
- 946.36 ml water
- 29.58 ml minced onions
- 59.16 ml white vinegar
- 59.16 ml brown sugar
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 4.92 ml ginger
- 9.85 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- Cut meat into squares and brown in oil.
- Remove from pan add gravy mix and water.
- Bring to boiling stirring constantly.
- Add remaining ingredients and return meat to pan.
- Cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Remove bay leaf and serve over noodles.
This is one of my all-time favorite dishes - comfort food at its best! I'd been wondering if anyone else made it this way. My mother has been making this for 20 yrs. and it's been our family's traditional Christmas Eve meal for almost as long. Even my picky dad has grown to love it. It just wouldn't be Christmas without this delicious dish.
This was a fabulous recipe that will become a standard recipe in our household. Rich delicious sauce and melt in your mouth steak that reminded me of something my grandmother used to make. I used pre-tenderized round steak and served with mashed potatoes and veggies.
I made this as it was printed -- it was very sweet and didn't have the tang I expected from the vinegar. Family gave it a 3... but probably won't make it again. Sorry.