Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is one of my favorite recipes. It takes a little longer to cook than some recipes, but is very worth it. The gravy you'll make is wonderful served over mashed potatoes.
- Cut steak into four pieces.
- On a plate, mix salt, pepper, marjoram, and flour.
- Dredge steaks in flour.
- Pound mixture into steaks till steaks are about double in diameter and about 1/4" thick.
- In a heavy skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add onions; saute 10 minutes or till golden brown.
- Lift out onions, set aside.
- Add steak to hot skillet.
- Brown over med-high heat.
- Add broth and onions.
- Cover and simmer over very low heat 1 hour or till tender.
- Remove steaks to warm platter.
- Stir sour cream into pan drippings.
- Whisk till smooth-- do not boil!
- Pour over steaks and serve.
Great recipe! I found that I got a much better result when I dredged in flour after I pounded them thin. I also doubled the recipe and used an au jous mix instead of the broth. (I put all the meat that wouldn't fit in my pan in the oven at 325 for about an hour and a half with half the au jous and half the onions). I did forget to put in the sour cream but I bet that would be really good as well! My family loved it and the onion gravy was wonderful on potatoes! Great recipe thanks!
Loved the sauce but ever after two hours my meat was still chewy and not tender. Must have had really tough meat. Will add more cornstarch to thicken.
Excellent review and I got my frustration out by beating on the steaks - LOL