Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is one of my favorite dishes from my mother's kitchen. Always turns out great.
- 1 lb round steak (approximate)
- 2 -3 potatoes, peeled and sliced thick
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb diced tomatoes with juice
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon parsley (approximate)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 crumbled beef bouillon cube
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cut steak into serving size pieces and brown steaks on both sides in oil in dutch oven.
- Set steaks aside.
- Put 1/2 green peppers &1/2 of onion slices in the bottom of pot.
- Sprinkle onions & peppers with 1/2 of salt and pepper.
- Add all the potatoes to the pot and arrange the steak on top of the potatoes.
- Cover the steak with the rest of the peppers and onions.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Cover and bake for approximately 2 hours.
This is the BEST swiss steak recipe on the web period! I've made it three times and it never dissapoints. Home cooking at it's best! This perfect blend of ingredients give it a very unique taste like none other. I love when I discover family recipes like this one. This one tastes so much better than the typical swiss steak recipe and in a league all by itself! Thank you so much for sharing!
Very good and easy. My DH loved it. I only baked it for an hour because we were hungry, but it still turned out great!