Recipe by mommyoffour
This is a recipe I'm saving from an old cookbook found in my husbands grandparents barn. The book is falling apart and I want to save a few of the recipes so am submitting them here. This sounds interesting with the sweet potatoes. I'm not sure if this truly is a Louisiana dish as the name implies but it sounds delicious.
Top Review by debdeschampe
I had this same recipe in a cookbook I loaned out and never got back...I have been looking for this for some time now. It is my favorite dish! Thank You!!
The sweet potatoes mixed with tomatoes with the round steak is delish!
I use Heinz 57 to add some extra zest!!
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut 3/4 inch thick
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, cut in wedges
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef round steak, cut about 3/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, cut up
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 dashes hot sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Layer sweet potato slices, onion slices, and green pepper wedges in a 2 quart casserole.
- Cut meat in a 6 serving size pieces; pound to about half the original thickness.
- Sprinkle with a little salt.
- In a skillet quickly brown meat in hot oil.
- Transfer meat to casserole atop sweet potato mixture; reserve drippings in skillet.
- Cook garlic in reserved drippings till tender but not brown.
- Blend in flour.
- Add undrained tomatoes, beef broth, sugar, the 1/2 teaspoons salt, thyme, pepper and hot pepper sauce.
- Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly; pour over meat and vegetables in casserole.
- Bake, covered, at 350 till meat and vegetables are tender about 1 1/2 hours; occasionally spoon sauce over meat and vegetables.