Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
My family's favorite meal, requested for all birthdays! The recipe came from my mother, and has now been made by three generations!
- 907.18 g round steaks
- 236.59 ml flour
- 14.78 ml paprika
- 59.14 ml shortening
- 2 (609.51 g) can cream of chicken soup
- 425.24 g jar small onion, drained and reserve liquid, I use Holland Style onions
- 127.57 g jar whole mushrooms, drained and reserve liquid
- 453.59 g container sour cream
- 473.18 ml flour
- 14.78 ml baking powder
- 14.79 ml poppy seed
- 2.46 ml salt
- 4.92 ml poultry seasoning
- 14.79 ml dried onion flakes
- 4.92 ml celery seed
- 59.16 ml shortening
- 236.59 ml milk
- 118.29 ml butter, melted
- 236.59 ml seasoned bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pound meat, cut into 12 two inch cubes, roll in flour paprika mixture (1 cup flour with 3 tsp paprika). Heat heavy skillet with 1/4 c Crisco and brown meat on all sides. Put meat in large 13 x 9 casserole, 3 pieces per row. Put drained onions and mushrooms over meat. Heat one can of soup in skillet with meat drippings, along with one can of liquid made up of reserved liquid from onions and mushrooms, add water to fill can to top. Heat to boiling and pour over the meat. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Biscuit Topping: Mix dry ingredients (2 c flour, 3 tsp baking powder, 1 Tbs poppy seeds, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp poultry seasoning, 1 Tbs minced onion, 1 tsp celery seed). Cut in with pastry blender, 4 Tbs shortening until shortening is size of small peas or smaller. Mix well with 1 cup milk. Melt butter and place in a bowl, put bread crumbs in another bowl. Take about 2 Tbs biscuit, place in melted butter, then roll in bread crumbs, pat until they are about 1/2 inch thick and 3 inches in diameter. Place biscuits on top of meat.
- Increase oven to 425 degrees, bake 20 minutes longer.
- Sauce: Heat 1 can of cream of chicken soup with sour cream on low heat, stirring often until bubbly.
Excellent, stick-to-your ribs dish! Everyone raved! I substituted dill weed for the celery seeds, as we do not like that flavor and it turned out great. I will definately use this recipe again, most likely for company. It's not at all healthy, but it's oh so good!
This is a delicious recipe! Everyone raved about it.