Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Make and share this Rouladen (Stuffed Beef) recipe from Food.com.
- beef, sliced (thin slices)
- bacon, sliced
- onion, sliced in quarters
- whole garlic pickles
- bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- Place the rouladen on the counter.
- Spread mustard on each rouladen.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place 2 bacon strips on each rouladen.
- On one end of the rouladen, place a pickle and onion (with the pickle being on outer end, then onion).
- Roll the rouladen and either use toothpickes or thread to keep in place.
- The best pot to use if you have it is cast iron, but a regular roasting pot is fine too.
- Place olive oil and water on bottom of pot.
- Put in the rouladen.
- Put about 6 bay leaves in the pot.
- Bake at 325-350 degrees for at least 3 hours.
- A good slow cook to have all the flavors blend in and for the pickle and onion to be moist.
This was great! I put mine in the corck pot, though. Turned out very tender and savory. Very easy to make.
Wonderful recipe. I used a dark German mustard to spread on the meat. I also did them in a crockpot - 4 1/2 hours on low they were tender and delicious. I added a tin of Veggie broth with garlic & onions already in it, then made a gravy out of the broth just before serving. Served with Spatzle, fried cabbage, new carrots & sugar peas - There were no complaints I can assure you Thanks Patty for a good recipe
Started with beef loin, butterflied. Put the bacon, onion and mustard on the loin and rolled it, securing it with skewers. Browned it in a cast iron pan, added a bit of water and a few bay leave, covered it with foil and baked it at 325 for a few hours. It was absolutely yummy! Thank you for posting. NOTE: The pickle was purposely omitted.