Recipe by plove53
This is my Mothers recipe adjusted from my step-Dad's German Grandmother
Top Review by adopt a greyhound
This really turned out great. Only made this for two and have lots of sauce leftover. Served with green onion spaetzle. DH was later getting home so mine cooked about 2 hrs. Still so tender and nice.
- 3 lbs flank steaks (or another type thin beef)
- 1 large onion (sliced)
- sliced bacon
- 1⁄2 cup mustard
- dill pickle, sliced (Long)
- 1⁄2 cup pickle juice
- 4 cups beef stock
- salt and pepper, to taste
- oil, for cooking
Directions See How It's Made
- Spread out steak and pound thin.
- Cut into portions size pieces (around 4x7 inches).
- Add Salt and Pepper to taste on both sides.
- Spread mustard liberally on each steak.
- Add one strip of Bacon, Pickle, and Slices of Onion to each steak.
- Roll the steaks up and pin closed (toothpick or tie).
- Sauté the steaks in a large skillet until brown on all sides.
- Add enough Beef Stock to just barely cover the steak rolls.
- Add Pickle Juice.
- Cover the pan and simmer for 90 minutes.
- Remove meat and keep warm (remove toothpicks or ties).
- Combine flour and water until smooth.
- Stir into broth.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly.
- Serve over Spaetzles (or wide noodles) Spaetzles: Mix 1 egg, 1 ½ cup Flour, ½ cup Water, ¼ ts Salt roll and cut into small pieces (or use a ricer) add to boiling salted water, cook 5 minutes or until done.