1/6 Photos of Rouladen or Rinderroulade
1 hr 45 mins
Mommy Diva's Note:
German /Hungarian meat roulade consisting of bacon, onions, mustard and pickles wrapped in thinly sliced beef and then cooked. Reminds me a little of mini morkon, a dish my Dad makes often. Found on Cookipedia.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 boneless beef shank, cut into very thin steaks and hammered flat
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- French mustard (to taste)
- 4 slices bacon or 4 slices pancetta, to taste
- 1 large dill pickle, cut into strips
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 stalk celery, cut into moons
- 1 bay leaf
- 12 ounces red wine (approx. 1/2 bottle)
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- beef stock, to taste
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- flour, for dusting (or cornmeal)
- 1Spread the mustard on the inside of the steak.
- 2Arrange a few slices of onion, gherkin and bacon on top then roll up and secure with toothpicks or tie with kitchen string.
- 3Coat in seasoned flour then in a large pan or Dutch oven, fry in a little oil until browned. Remove and set aside.
- 4In the same pan, sauté the onion,celery, carrot and garlic for 6 minutes.
- 5Add a little red wine and stir to deglaze the pan.
- 6Place the rouladen on top of the vegetables and pour the remaining wine over the top.
- 7Heat for 5 minutes to reduce the wine a little.
- 8Add a little beef stock, tomato puree, bay leaf and season well.
- 9Simmer gently for 1.5 hours
- 10Strain the gray before serving and thicken a little if needed
- 11Serve hot with boiled or mashed potatoes, carrots and broccoli.
Browse Our Top For 1 Or 2 Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All For 1 Or 2 Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rouladen or Rinderroulade
Serving Size: 1 (253 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 279.5
- Calories from Fat 67
- Total Fat 7.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 10.8 mg
- Sodium 773.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 3.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
boneless beef shank