Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is an old fashioned German recipe that my family enjoys. It has been passed down from my mother who is from Germany, try it you will love it.
- 4 -6 thinly sliced steak (some grocery stores will call it rouladen)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 -12 slices uncooked bacon, chopped (smoked bacon may be substituted)
- pickle, chopped (opptional)
- dry mustard
- 2 -3 beef bouillon cubes
- Pound steaks ,if necessary, to thin them out. Season with garlic, salt, pepper and mustard to your liking. Place chopped bacon, onions, and pickles down the center of the steaks and roll up. Tie with string.
- In large pot brown in vegetable oil, then add beef boullion and cover with water, let simmer for at least 3 hours. Add more water, if necessary, to keep them covered.
- Remove rouladen from pot and thicken liquid to make gravy. Season to taste. Return meat to pot and heat through.
- Serve with mashed potatoes or potato dumplings.
Very Good! I use partially cooked bacon so that it's not so greasy.
My sister made this for me when she came to visit a few years ago. It is one of my fav.
Just like Oma made!!! I have used this recipe several times to rave reviews from family and friends. To zip it up a bit I add some white wine to the gravy.