Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a recipe my mother used to make, that she got from my Oma. While it looks fancy, it is actually pretty easy. Rouladen is a thin slice of round steak, thin enough that you can roll it easily. Yummy German cooking!
- 4 thin slices round steaks (rouladen)
- 4 piece onions
- 4 dill pickle spears
- 4 piece smoked sausage
- 4 slice bacon
- 19.71 ml German mustard
- 1.0 ml pepper
- Lightly pepper rouladen, spread with mustard.
- Roll 1 bacon slice tightly around a pickle spear, onion piece and sausage. Place at one end of the rouladen and roll. Tie rouladen with thread, so it doesn't unroll while cooking.
- Brown rouladen on all sides in a pan. Add about half an inch of water to the pan. At this point you can untie the threads, I don't usually bother until the end.
- Cover and cook for 1.5 - 2 hours. Remove rouladen from pan, and thicken broth with flour to make a gravy.
- Excellent served with mashed potatoes.