Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
Use round steak that is thinly sliced. This recipe does not freeze well as the pickles lose flavor, however it can be assembled ahead of time to throw into the crockpot in the morning.
- 3 lbs top round steaks
- 6 tablespoons hot mustard
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 6 slices bacon
- 3 dill pickles, chopped
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 sliced leek, whiles only
- 1 tablespoon scrapped parsnip
- 3 parsley sprigs, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cut steak into pieces 4x8-inches.
- Spread each with mustard. Divide onion, bacon, and pickles and spread down the center of each piece of meat. Keep filling about 1/2 inch from edge.
- Starting at narrow end, roll up each slice and tie closed.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add rolls and cook until browned.
- Remove rolls. Deglaze pan with water. Bring to a boil. Add vegetables and meat.
- Simmer covered 1 hour or until tender.
- Strain liquid. Return liquid to pan. Mix cornstarch and water. Add to liquid to thicken.
- Slow Cooker: After browning and deglazing pan, transfer meat, vegetables and liquid to the slow cooker crock. Pour in enough water to cover rolls. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-6 hours or until tender. To make gravy, strain 2 cups of liquid into a saucepan. Thicken with cornstarch.