Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven and saute onions 3 minutes.
- Add cabbage and immediately pour vinegar over cabbage to prevent it from losing its red color.
- Sprinkle with salt and sugar.
- Add chopped apple or applesauce and a piece of salt pork.
- Pour in red wine and hot beef broth.
- Cover and simmer for 45 to 60 minutes.
- Cabbage should be just tender, not soft.
- Shortly before end of cooking time, remove salt pork; cube and retrun it to the cabbage if desired.
- Correct seasonings and serve.
I never made Rotkohl before, but will be making it again using this wonderful recipe! It was very tasty and easy to make. Kree says it "freakin' rocks!" Thanks for another great recipe, Mysterygirl!
I added quite a bit of salt, some extra vinegar and some brown sugar. Right off the stove, it had a bit of a vinegar taste to it, but I put it in the over at 275 for a few hours and the taste mellowed out.