Top Review by Whisper
I never made Rotkohl before, but will be making it again using this wonderful recipe! It was very tasty and easy to make. Kree says it "freakin' rocks!" Thanks for another great recipe, Mysterygirl!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 small onions, Sliced
- 2 lbs red cabbage, Shredded
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 large apples, Core and peel, then fine chop it (Tart) or 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth, Hot
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven and saute onions 3 minutes.
- Add cabbage and immediately pour vinegar over cabbage to prevent it from losing its red color.
- Sprinkle with salt and sugar.
- Add chopped apple or applesauce and a piece of salt pork.
- Pour in red wine and hot beef broth.
- Cover and simmer for 45 to 60 minutes.
- Cabbage should be just tender, not soft.
- Shortly before end of cooking time, remove salt pork; cube and retrun it to the cabbage if desired.
- Correct seasonings and serve.