Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
A version with no onions; however, if you like, you can slice a small onion and saute it in the bacon fat, stirring and dividing slices into rings, before Step 2.
- 2 slices bacon, diced
- 2 cups green apples, peeled and diced
- 4 cups red cabbage, rinsed, cored and shredded
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup beef stock
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- In a skillet, saute bacon over medium heat until soft.
- Add next six ingredients (apples through sugar), bring to a boil, cover, lower heat and simmer about 15 minutes until cabbage is tender.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.