Prep 15 mins
Cook 9 hrs 30 mins
From the Ultimate Rotisserie Cookbook by Diane Phillips. Tangy lemon and pungent rosemary give this chicken its robust flavor. Cooking time includes the 8 hour marinating time.
- 1 (4 lb) chicken
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 lemon, zest of, grated
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh rosemary leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- Wash chicken inside and out under cold water and pat dry.
- Remove any excess fat from the skin and put chicken in a 2-gallon zip top bag.
- Mix marinade ingredients and pour over chicken.
- Marinate in refrigerator about 8 hours.
- Remove chicken from marinade and drain.
- Load chicken onto spit rod assembly. Truss according to manufacturer's directions, or tie the legs together and tie another string around the body and wings so the wings don't flop around during cooking.
- Roast until an instant-read meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh registers 175 degrees, about 20 minutes per pound.
- Remove chicken from spit, cover loosely with foil and let rest for about 10 minutes before carving.
I removed the back bone of my chicken with cooking shears, then laid it over indirect heat (on HIGH)) and grilled it for a little over 1 hour. It was so tender and juicy. This will get a repeat performance again very soon!
We also found this recipe in the rotisserie cook book. We have made this many times. In the winter we make it in my "Set it and Forget It" In the summer we always make it beer can chicken style. Always comes out so juicy and tender you can cut it with a fork! Trust me people, you will love it!
I marinated overnight and cooked on rotisserie/bbq. The chicken was very moist and tender with good flavor. I will make this again. Thank you.