Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 9 mins
I worked this recipe last summer while I had oodles of fresh herbs growing in the garden. I remembered years ago placing fresh basil under the skin of a turkey I baked for Thanksgiving and decided lets try this with many herbs. It is so delicious the family begs for my rotisserie chickens! You can do this on a BBQ or kitchen rotisserie. You can prepare the chicken earlier and let it marinade in the fridge for the day as well before cooking. It will intense the flavors. I also place the herbs and garlic inside the bird.
- roasting chicken
- 3 stalks basil leaves
- 5 stalks fresh rosemary
- 12 stalks fresh thyme
- 2 stalks fresh sage
- 2 stalks fresh tarragon
- 2 stalks fresh oregano
- 12 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Clean a five pound roasting chicken and pat dry.
- Carefully separate with your hand the skin from the meat without ripping the skin. Separate entire breast area to back and then leg area.
- Crush and Slice all the garlic lengthwise.
- Insert garlic slices between the skin and meat on breast, legs and inside bird.
- Remove the basil, oregano and sage leaves off the stems.
- Insert the leaves between the skin and meat on breast, legs and inside bird.
- Add evenly the stalks of thyme in all places as well, reserving 4 stalks.
- Place the tarragon inside the bird.
- Place one stalk of rosemary inside the bird.
- If the skin is very loose use a toothpick to close in front area and one in back.
- Tie up the bird so the legs and wings are not loose. Use cotton string.
- Rub the tied bird with the olive oil.
- Insert the spit for rotisserie making sure it is well secured.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper around the bird.
- Place the rosemary stalks, about 4 inches long, into the leg & wing area using the string to hold in place.
- Place 4 sprigs of thyme anywhere under strings.
- Place readied chicken onto rotisserie and cook one hour and fifteen minutes. Chicken cooks usually 15 minutes per pound.
- Use a meat thermometer for testing meat. Temperature should reach 165 degrees when done. Juices should run clear.
Tender and delicious................ like taking a bite out of Spring.
I think this one will be a weekly dish in my home.