Prep 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 55 mins
An incredible roasted chicken dish served with delicious deep fried Yucca Root french fries! This recipe is the "Grand Prize WInner" in the chicken category, from contestants all across America - Courtesy of Food Network - Ultimate Recipe Showdown By Amparo Alam
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons herbs (huacatay- Peruvian herb)
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 ajies chilies (Peruvian chile)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 lemons, juice of or 3 limes, juice of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon achiote (annato, Spanish spice)
- 2 lbs yucca root, peeled, and boiled (cook them like potatoes)
- vegetable oil, for frying
Cream of Aji
- 6 -9 aji chilies, in the blender with
- 1 garlic clove
- ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
Creamy Cheese Sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) package queso fresco (Farmer or a mild Feta cheese may be substituted)
- 1⁄4 red onion, sauteed (without oil)
- 3⁄4 cup oil
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon turmeric (cook the turmeric in 2 tablespoon hot oil, for 3 seconds)
- 1 aji chile (Peruvian hot pepper)
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Rotisserie Chicken:
- Rinse the chicken very well, and cut off all the fat.
- Tuck the wings under the back of the chicken.
- Make a paste by mixing the garlic, huacatay, pepper, salt, aji, cumin, lemon or lime juice and achiote.
- Spread paste on the chicken and rub well from outside to inside.
- Let stand in the refrigerator for 2 hours or more, for a good flavor.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Put the chicken in the roasting pan with lid.
- Cook, covered, for 1 1/2 hours, or until it is golden brown.
- Yucca Root:
- After you have peeled and boiled the yucca, cut it into a French fry shapes.
- In a deep pot or a deep-fryer heat oil to 350 degrees F.
- Fry the yucca in batches, if necessary, until golden brown and crispy.
- Sprinkle with salt. to taste.
- Aji sauce:
- Mix cream of aji, olive oil, green onions, and lime juice in a medium bowl.
- Cheese sauce:
- Blend queso fresco, red onion, oil, milk, turmeric mixture, chile, salt and pepper, and lemon juice in a blender until it becomes creamy.
- Put the whole chicken on a plate with the fried yucca root around, and the 2 sauces on the side for dipping.
I love Peruvian food and aji's, this is wonderful!!!