Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This stew is my own creation and absolutely fabulous w/honey cornbread or potato rolls. It's easy and inexpensive. Go to your local deli, grab an already cooked whole rotisserie chicken, some veggies, brown rice & broth and call it a night! This stew can also be made in the crockpot!
- 1 chicken, whole deli rotisserie
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 8 ounces baby carrots, peeled
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice
- 15 ounces white beans
- 42 ounces chicken broth
- 4 dried bay leaves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- separate chicken from the bone, disarding the skin and bones, retaining only the white meat. add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. simmer for 2 hrs, or crockpot it. add cornstarch and water for thickening as needed.
Hi Tallie. This was made for dinner tonight. It was delicious. I'm only giving it four stars, because I messed up and bought the wrong kind of beans. I grabbed Pinto beans, which are a variety of kidney bean. Another thing, I left out the potato. I thought it would be too much with the brown rice and the beans. Other than that, everything was the same. I sliced my baby carrots in half and some thirds. This was also made for 2 servings. I did my best on ingredient amounts. On the side were just simple Saltines. Thank you for the hearty Friday night dinner..... for Spring PAC 2010.