1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 5 mins
I found this today in the current edition of "USA Weekend". I'm intrigued because it starts with cooked chicken meat and canned broth. If you don't care for hominy you can substitute white beans. This looks like perfect fare for the upcoming Superbowl! From Pam Anderson's "Cook Smart" column.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 whole store-bought rotisserie roasted chicken, meat picked from bones and pulled into bite size pieces,skin and bones reserved seperately
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup ground cumin
- 4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 large onions, cut into medium dice
- 2 (4 ounce) cans diced mild green chilies
- 2 (20 ounce) cans hominy or 2 (20 ounce) cans canned white beans, such as cannellini or great northern
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups frozen corn, preferably shoepeg
- sour cream
- cilantro or scallion
- lime wedge
- green chili sauce
- 1Bring skin and bones, chicken broth a 1 quart of water to boil over medium-high heat.
- 2Reduce heat to low and simmer about 30 minutes.
- 3Strain and discard skin and bones.
- 4Heat oil over medium-low heat in soup kettle.
- 5Add cumin, oregano and cayenne and cook until spices are fragrant, about 1 minute.
- 6Add onion; increase heat to medium; saute until soft, 4 to 5 minutes.
- 7Stir in chicken and chilies.
- 8Add 4 cups hominy or beans and all but 1 cup of the broth and bring to a simmer.
- 9Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 25 to 30 minutes.
- 10Puree remaining 2 cups hominy or beans and 1 cup broth in blender or food processor until silky smooth; add to soup.
- 11Stir garlic and corn into soup.
- 12Simmer for a minute or so longer, then cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- 13Ladle into bowls and top with sour cream, cilantro or scallions.
- 14Pass separately the lime wedges and green hot pepper sauce.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rotisserie Chicken Chili with Hominy & Chilies
Serving Size: 1 (373 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 532.9
- Calories from Fat 291
- Total Fat 32.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.9 g
- Cholesterol 115.0 mg
- Sodium 1032.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 34.9 g