Recipe by yooper
I found this today in the current edition of "USA Weekend". I'm intrigued because it starts with cooked chicken meat and canned broth. If you don't care for hominy you can substitute white beans. This looks like perfect fare for the upcoming Superbowl! From Pam Anderson's "Cook Smart" column.
Top Review by aprilfool
Easy to make and super tasty. I only used half the cumin and it was great. Prefer boneless chicken as pulling the chicken is time consuming and I don't wish to risk bones with a crowd which is what this feeds!
- 2 whole store-bought rotisserie roasted chicken, meat picked from bones and pulled into bite size pieces,skin and bones reserved seperately
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup ground cumin
- 4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 large onions, cut into medium dice
- 2 (4 ounce) cansdiced mild green chilies
- 2 (20 ounce) cans hominy or 2 (20 ounce) canscanned white beans, such as cannellini or great northern
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups frozen corn, preferably shoepeg
- sour cream
- cilantro or scallion
- lime wedge
- green chili sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring skin and bones, chicken broth a 1 quart of water to boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer about 30 minutes.
- Strain and discard skin and bones.
- Heat oil over medium-low heat in soup kettle.
- Add cumin, oregano and cayenne and cook until spices are fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add onion; increase heat to medium; saute until soft, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in chicken and chilies.
- Add 4 cups hominy or beans and all but 1 cup of the broth and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Puree remaining 2 cups hominy or beans and 1 cup broth in blender or food processor until silky smooth; add to soup.
- Stir garlic and corn into soup.
- Simmer for a minute or so longer, then cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and top with sour cream, cilantro or scallions.
- Pass separately the lime wedges and green hot pepper sauce.