Prep 5 hrs
Cook 1 hr
If your rotisserie is not large enough to hold four hens just prepare three! Plan ahead the hens need to marinade for a minimum of 5 hours.
- 1⁄4 cup hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons chili-garlic sauce
- 3 tablespoons dark sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 green onion (sliced in half)
- 4 Cornish hens (up to about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- sesame seeds
- chopped green onion
- In a shallow dish mix together the first 7 ingredients, then transfer to a large heavy ziploc plastic freezer bag, add in the hens; seal the bag and toss to coat.
- Refrigerate for about 5 hours.
- Remove the hens and thread on the rotisserie (reserve the marinade and discard the green onion halves).
- Pour the reserved marinade in a small saucepan.
- Reserve 1/4-cup of the chicken broth and pour the rest in with the marinade; bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- In a small cup whisk together the reserved 1/4 cup chicken broth with 2 teaspoons cornstarch; add to the simmering sauce, and cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Prepare the gill to medium heat, or whatever heat desired to rotisserie.
- Secure the hens with strong string, then thread the hens onto the rotisserie rack, sprinkle with black pepper if desired.
- Grill until the hens are done about 1 hour.
- Place the hens on a platter and sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions.
- Serve hens with sauce on the side.