Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A healthy vegetarian pasta dish (for vegan, omit parmesan cheese). A great dish for summer, because you can incorporate ripe tomatoes straight from the garden (tomatoes are not cooked). Save time by cooking the pasta while you're making the vegetable sauce. Four servings if served as a one-dish meal, six servings if served as a side.
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 -2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 grated lemon, zest of
- 1 (12 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 large tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) package rotini pasta, cooked al dente, drained and kept warm
- 1 cup fresh basil, chopped
- grated parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté garlic and red pepper flakes in oil 1 minute.
- Add zucchini, turn heat to high and stir fry 1 minute.
- Add broth through lemon zest, turn heat back to medium and simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir in cannelini and heat through (about 1 minute).
- Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper, and stir in lemon juice. Add tomatoes, cooked rotini, and basil; toss to mix thoroughly.
- Transfer to bowls and top with grated parmesan.