Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
A quick and healthy pasta dish. Good for a family meal or for company.
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2⁄3 cup lentils
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon tarragon, crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano, crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried hot pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes with juice
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 lb fresh spinach, cleaned and chopped or 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach
- 1 lb rotini pasta or 1 lb other spiral shaped pasta, cooked
- Cook onion and garlic in oil over med heat until softened.
- Add lentils, water, herbs and pepper flakes.
- Simmer 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, ketchup, salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer 20 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook until tender, about 2 minutes.
- Toss with cooked pasta.
- Serve with parmesan cheese if desired.
All the wrong flavors--the slight licorice flavor of tarragon doesn't complement the lentils, which need a more powdery spice to pick up flavor. I added cumin and carrots and it tasted better.
Made it as written, except used beet greens instead of the spinach.