Top Review by Dreamer in Ontario
This is a very nice vegan recipe. I've never had tofu with pasta before and found it a nice addition. It's so quick to make that it's a perfect weeknight meal. Thanks for posting this recipe. Oh yes, I had my salad on the side :)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 -6 garlic cloves, minced (to your taste)
- 450 g regular extra firm tofu, drained and cubed
- 1 (28 ounce) can no-salt-added whole tomatoes or 6 chopped tomatoes
- 1 -2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄2-1 cup low-sodium V8 juice
- 1 (454 g) box rotini pasta (any small pasta) or 1 (454 g) box penne (any small pasta)
Directions See How It's Made
- Note: you can use any type of pasta shapes for this. Penne is really good because the tomato broth goes inside the tubes, yum :-) I also like to do a mix of whole-wheat and white pasta.
- In a medium pot or frying pan, soften the onion and garlic in water (or use oil if you want).
- Add can of tomatoes, including their juice. Use a potato masher to smash the whole tomatoes into smaller pieces. Add the tofu cubes, vinegar, basil and salt if desired. Bring to a simmer and partially cover the pot.
- If you have a little extra time, let this simmer for 15-20 minutes. Remove from the heat and cover, to let the flavors deepen; then boil the pasta water. If in more of a rush, just start the pasta immediately.
- Cook the pasta in a large pot while the tomato part simmers. When the pasta's done (just a bit past al dente), drain and return to the pot.
- Pour the tomato mixture into the pasta, stir and add the V8 if it needs to be juicier. Ready to serve.
- You may enjoy eating your salad with dressing right on top of the noodles (odd, but yummy!).