Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is the flat bread used to wrap up curries--very popular in Trinidad. The curry can be chicken, beef, lamb, prawn, potato or vegetable. Whatever you choose to use it's delicious.
- Mix 2 cups milk & 1 cup water.
- Heat to lukewarm.
- To 1/2 cup of this mixture add the yeast & sugar.
- Let raise for 20 minutes.
- Put flour, salt, baking powder into bowl, mix together.
- Mix oil into lukewarm milk mixture.
- Make a hole in centre of flour & add liquid a little at a time, mixing well.
- Keep 1 cup water handy & sprinkle on dough while mixing until right consistency is reached.
- Let rise in warm place for 1 - 2 hours.
- Knead a 2nd time and form into balls -- should yield 24.
- Roll out each one (approx 10 inch).
- Have plateen on high hob.
- Brush with oil.
- Place rolled out roti bread on plateen do not burn, after few mins turn when golden brown and cooked remove.
- Repeat with all roti rounds.
- Keep wrapped in tea towel to keep warm.
- Fill with desired curry filling.
- ENJOY YOUR ROTI.
- (Can be frozen).