Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Vegetarian Times, February 2007
- 12 ounces whole wheat spiral pasta (rotelle pasta) or 12 ounces rotini pasta
- 1 lb asparagus spear, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons pesto sauce
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (13 3/4 ounce) can water-packed artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- Cook pasta according to instructions. Drain and set aside.
- While pasta cooks, bring a second pot of water to a boil.
- Fill a large bowl with cold water; set aside.
- Blanch asparagus in boiling water for 3 minutes.
- Remove and dunk in cold water.
- Heat olive oil and pesto in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add garlic; saute for 30 seconds or until golden.
- Add beans and cook 5 minutes longer.
- Squeeze excess liquid from artichokes and add to the skillet, along with the asparagus. Cook 3-4 minutes or until heated through.
- Toss pasta and vegetables with cheese in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
Love this recipe! Can be eaten hot or cold. Instead of blanching the asparagus, it can be microwaved for 1-2 minutes. Found it to be too dry so I just add Greek or Italian dressing at the end.
This has a really nice take on veggie pasta! I like artichokes (hubby doesn't know what the fuss is, but likes asparagus. I used sun dried tomato pesto. Only things I will change next time is heaps more pesto (it was way too dry for our liking) I ended up putting the rest of the pesto thru for the leftovers. And hubby said it needs more beans. So will add more. Thanks!