I created this recipe when I wanted to make a peach cobbler, but didn't have enough peaches. I had a lot of frozen berries in the freezer and decided to see what would happen if I combined the idea of the German hot fruit dessert Rote Gruetze with the baking technique of an American cobbler. The results were beyond delicious.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 118.29 ml unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml salt
- 158.51 ml milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 340.19 g frozen mixed berries, unthawed
- 340.19 g frozen raspberries, unthawed
- 226.79 g frozen whole strawberries, unthawed
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 2.46 ml nutmeg
- 2.46 ml almond extract (optional) or 2.46 ml vanilla extract (optional)
- 177.44-236.59 ml sugar (depending upon how tangy your fruits are)
- half-and-half cream or cream or ice cream, to serve
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F While the oven is heating up, place butter into a 9X13" baking dish and set the pan in the oven to heat up, letting the butter melt.
- 2Mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt for the batter. Make a well and stir in the milk and the beaten egg, whisking to combine. Do not use an electric mixer - just blend until everything is combined with no lumps.
- 3Once the butter has melted and the oven has preheated, remove the baking dish from the oven. Carefully pour the batter over the butter - do not stir.
- 4Combine the frozen fruits, spices, extract (if using) and 3/4 cup sugar (or more if you are using very tart berries like black currants or blackberries in your mix)and then sprinkle over the batter. Do not stir.
- 5Bake for about 45 minutes or until the batter has risen up over the berries, the filling is bubbling, and the edges are turning golden. The top may appear slightly pale, this is normal.
- 6Scoop into serving bowls and pour cream or half & half over the top or ladle over vanilla ice cream.
Browse Our Top Cobblers and Crisps Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cobblers and Crisps Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rote Gruetze Cobbler
Serving Size: 1 (160 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 357.6
- Calories from Fat 118
- Total Fat 13.1 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 59.7 mg
- Sodium 185.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 41.9 g
- Protein 3.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
frozen mixed berries