Prep 20 mins
Cook 24 hrs 5 mins
- 2 (8 1/4 ounce) packages raspberries, frozen in light syrup and thawed
- 1 (16 ounce) package strawberries, frozen in light syrup, thawed and pureed with their juice
- 1 lb dark sweet red cherries, stemmed pitted and quartered or 1 (20 ounce) can dark sweet cherries, with juice reserved separately
- 1 quart natural red grape juice or 1 quart cranberry juice
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, finely grated
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 2⁄3 cup cornstarch, unsifted
- 1 cup dry red wine (preferably German)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla sugar
- FOR DESSERT:
- Combine raspberry juice, pureed strawberries and cherry juice in 1 quart measure.
- Add enough grape juice to total 1 quart.
- Pour mixture into heavy saucepan (NOT ALUMINUM).
- Add 2 more cups grape juice.
- Stir in sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice.
- Bring to a boil, uncovered, over medium heat stirring often.
- Combine cornstarch with wine in separate bowl to make a thin, smooth paste.
- As soon as mixture boils, add corn starch paste, whisking vigorously.
- Immediately reduce heat to low; cook and stir for 3 minutes until mixture boils again, thickens, and starch taste is gone.
- Stir in raspberries and cherries gently.
- Heat and stir 1 minute more.
- Remove from heat and stir 1 minute more.
- Cool mixture to room temperature.
- Chill for 24 hours.
- FOR TOPPING:
- Shortly before serving, beat heavy cream with vanilla sugar until slightly thickened, but still thin enough to pour.
- Spoon Rote Grutze into stemmed goblets and top each with a generous ladle of whipped cream and serve.
I love fresh cherries and when they are in season here I eat them as often as possible. We really loved the flavors in this. What a nice change for us!
Delicious recipe, but I omit the wine and add extra grape juice. I also like to serve with well chilled creme fraiche.
my 90ish mother is in Rote Grutze heaven she likes my recipe, but absolutely loves this recipe. She says it tastes just like her Mother's recipe and that is her highest compliment!!