farhat hasan's Note:
Rote is a slightly sweet bread, usually made in the form of a circle and enjoyed with tea. Many Afghans like it for a snack or some use it in a ceremony when a newborn baby turns 40 days old.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 425 degrees (Fahrenheit) or 218 Celsius.
- 2To one bowl: Mix flour with baking powder Add quick rise yeast and Add cardamom and mix very well.
- 3In a small saucepan, gently warm Do not burn the oil, only make it warm, and add the oil to the flour mixture.
- 4Heat warm water and gradually add, while stirring to the mixture.
- 5Incorporate all the ingredients very well, and then addegg yolk and yogurt.
- 6Knead the dough until it is soft for 3-5 minutes and then place it in a bowl, covered, to rest for 10 minutes.
- 7After 10 minutes, roll out 2 rounds that are about 3/4 inches thick. I find it is best to roll these out in an oven proof pan that is pre-greased with a non-stick cooking spray. Do not be afraid to use clean hands to help shape the rote.
- 8Also make sure to measure the oil and the water correctly otherwise your rote will be dry and crumbly.
- 9Once in the pan, prick all over the dough with with a fork and sprinkle a handful of sia dona and sesame seeds if you like them.
- 10Place the baking pans on a slightly greased baking tray side by side and bake for about 12-15 minutes (depending on the strength of your oven) until the rote has risen slightly and is golden brown.
- 11When the baking is finished, wrap completely in a clean kitchen cloth or a plastic bag to stop the rote from drying out too much.
- 12The rote is best eaten with tea, and will become harder and dryer depending on storage conditions. Since this is made with no preservatives, it should be eaten in 3-5 days.
You Might Also Like...View All Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rote Afghani
Serving Size: 1 (157 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 573.3
- Calories from Fat 166
- Total Fat 18.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 19.0 mg
- Sodium 87.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 89.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 30.2 g
- Protein 15.8 g