Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
An authentic German recipe adapted from Mimi's cyber kitchen. The original said to cook on stove top 6 hours, but I have adapted it to the crock pot.
- 1 red cabbage, coarsely shredded
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 lb apple, sliced (about 2 large)
- 1⁄2 lb onion, sliced (about 2 small to medium)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon caraway seed
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 cups wine, plus a little more
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- Cook cabbage in the butter, while covered, for 5 minutes.
- Place into a crock pot.
- Add sliced onions and apples.
- Add everything else.
- Cook on low 6-7 hours, until done to your liking. Enjoy!
I thought it was great, I omitted the red wine though and did not cook it to death for the 6-7 hrs., did it to my own taste. I am alway's modifying recipes anyway's I love to experiment and omitted the onions as well we don't eat alot of onions anymore. We had this for Easter Dinner today with corned beef-potato's, carrotts and apple pie. Happy Easter
It was a little over powering of wine and appples. If I were to try this recipe again I would prefer to divide the wine and apple amount in half. I'm German however this was a little over powering.
A yummy cabbage recipe. A tasty combination of seasonings with the onions and apples. Delicious. Served it with Crispy Crumbed Pork Chops, boiled potatoes with melted butter and dill, pickled beets, and rye bread. Added Apple Crisp for dessert with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon on top.