Prep 48 hrs
Cook 25 mins
Hungarian Christmas cookies also referred to as nuthorns
- 1⁄2 lb butter (not margarine)
- 2 tablespoons Crisco
- 6 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 pint sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 large cake yeast
- 2 lbs chopped walnuts
- beaten egg white (I'm assuming the ones used from the dough, but it doesn't specify)
- Cream Eggs and shortening Add sugar-gradually Add flour Add sourcream Melt yeast in 1/4 c.
- warm milk-add to mixture.
- Work dough (add flour if tacky) Refrigerate overnight Take out in morning-let sit for 1/2 hour Work dough Cut in 8 or 9 pieces.
- Work them.
- Roll in balls Let rise 1/2 hour-and roll and cut in squares.
- Spread filling over square and then roll like crescents.
- Let raise 1/2 hour after filled Bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 Roll in powdered sugar when cool.
This was called Kipful and I'm sure the spelling isn't right.My mom still makes this today at the holiday time. My grandmother made it too and she was from Austria.