1/1 Photo of Rosy Swirl Cranberry Bread
2 hrs 35 mins
This yeast-risen, homey-looking bread is grainy with a delectable jam-like swirl in the middle, featuring fresh cranberries. Source: Relish Mag
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon, mixed
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1Combine milk and 1/4 cup butter in a small saucepan and heat until butter melts. Pour into a large bowl and stir in oats. Let stand about 10 minutes.
- 2Sprinkle yeast over warm water, and let stand 10 minutes or until bubbly.
- 3Add eggs, vanilla, sugar, salt and yeast mixture to oat mixture. Stir well.
- 4Stir in whole-wheat flour and 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 cup at a time. Turn dough out onto a clean, floured surface; knead in remaining all-purpose flour, 1/4-cup at a time, until smooth and pliable. Knead about 6 minutes. Spray a large bowl with cooking spray and place dough in it. Cover and let rise 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until doubled in bulk.
- 5To prepare the filling, combine cranberries and sugar in a small saucepan. Cook, stirring constantly, until sugar melts and cranberries start to pop. Remove from heat and set aside.
- 6Coat two 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pans with cooking spray. When the dough has risen, punch it down; divide into two equal parts.
- 7Melt remaining 1/4 cup butter. Roll out one portion of dough into a 12-by-16-inch rectangle on a floured surface. Brush with 2 tablespoons melted butter. Sprinkle on 2 tablespoons cinnamon-sugar, stopping 3/4 inch from edges. Spread with half the cranberry filling, stopping 3/4 inch from edges.
- 8Roll dough up, starting on one of the short sides. Pinch seams together at both ends; tuck ends under slightly. Place loaf, seam side down, into prepared pan. Repeat for second loaf.
- 9Cover loaves and let rise until doubled in bulk, 45 to 60 minutes.
- 10Preheat oven to 375°F Bake 35 minutes or until bread is browned on bottom and sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from oven, let stand in pans 5 minutes, then remove from pans and cool on racks 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rosy Swirl Cranberry Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1902 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2407.8
- Calories from Fat 555
- Total Fat 61.7 g
- Saturated Fat 33.6 g
- Cholesterol 343.2 mg
- Sodium 3958.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 410.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 37.9 g
- Sugars 99.9 g
- Protein 64.4 g