Prep 4 hrs
Cook 30 mins
It is a very old family recipe for a corn relish. Does not have any pickling spices so very different then the usual corn relish.
- 10 cups cabbage, cut up fine
- 10 cups corn (about 24 ears, cut off cobb)
- 10 cups ripe tomatoes, cut up fine (skinned)
- 6 sweet bell peppers (any color)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 quart cider vinegar (white may be substituted)
- 3 tablespoons canning salt
- 4 large onions, chopped
- Put all ingredients into large kettle (with heavy bottom)stir well, cook for 30 minutes, stir often.
- Prepare jars for canning in a water bath. Place into pint jars, seal and process in a water bath for 15 minutes. Allow 5 extra minutes for each 1,000 feet above 2,000ft.
- Let sit for 2 weeks to allow flavors to marry.
This is a very excellent recipe. Not too harsh or sour. Very nice, gentle cabbage based pickle.