Recipe by Lainey39
A delicious sweet applesauce. Recipe is from Woman's Day.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Yet again, Lainey, a great recipe! I was going to start out with purchased chunky applesauce & go on from there, but then decided to do it all from scratch, & I'm glad I did! It's not only great eaten plain, but it makes a nice topping for oatmeal AND cottage cheese AND.... Thanks for posting this! [Tagged, made & reviewed for 1-2-3 Hit Wonders tag game]
- 1 lb mcintosh apple
- 1 lb granny smith apple
- 1 lb rome apple
- 1 cup unsweetened apple cider or 1 cup apple juice
- 2 slices lemon zest (about 3 in. each)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons red cinnamon candies ("red-hot")
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground ginger
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel, halve and core apples; cut into 2-inch chunks.
- Place in 5-quart pot with apple cider, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, 25 minutes or until apples are very tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients; continue to cook, stirring, until the candies dissolve, about 3 minutes.
- Discard zest.
- Crush with a potato masher until the applesauce is chunky or smooth according to taste.
- Serve warm or cold.
- Calories are for 1/2-cup serving.