Recipe by Chef MB
If you like beets, you have to try this! My husband and I love it, very garlicky, very good. My notes on the recipe say it was created by Karen Mintzias, and whoever she is, she should be thanked!
Top Review by BettyBoop330
This was really good - the whole family gobbled it up! The potatoes turn out definitely rosy, however, so don't be surprised. Highly recommended. Update: Made this following the author's recommendations on cooking the beet greens, potatoes & beets. It worked perfectly. The only change I made was to use good quality balsamic vinegar instead of lemon juice.
- 4 medium beets with greens
- 2 large potatoes
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice of
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Note: You can cook all three of the main ingredients in separate pots, but I hate doing dishes, so here's how I do it.
- Remove the beet greens, clean and cut into 1 inch slices. Boil till wilted and tender, scoop out with a slotted spoon, drain and set aside.
- In the same boiling water, cook the two potatoes until tender. Scoop out and set aside to cool.
- Then boil the washed beets until tender. Rinse, let cool, then slip off the roots and skins.
- Peel potatoes and cut into bite size chunks. Add to a mixing bowl with the beet greens. Cut the beets into similarly sized chunks, add to the bowl.
- Mince or press the four SMALL cloves of garlic and mix whisk together with olive oil and lemon juice. NOTE: taste the dressing and adjust the olive oil/lemon juice ratio to your own taste. Also, feel free to cut back on the garlic if you aren't dating a vampire.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss together. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.