Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
"WOW, what did you put in the cake?" that's the question. Yours is the decision to fess up or just smile and look mysterious. In today's world of celebrity chef's and chemical gastronomy anything goes. Here we have a simple but unexpected cake. It's certainly unusual but many things that are different become pleasant surprises. Why not give it a try? you know that you are curious after all. This is a chocolate cake with a little twist
- 473.18 ml all-purpose flour
- 18.92 ml granulated sugar
- 158.51 ml cocoa powder
- 7.39 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml ground cinnamon
- 0.59 ml salt
- 236.59 ml milk (2% preferred)
- 118.29 ml ketchup
- 118.29 ml shortening
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 2 eggs
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon & salt.
- Add milk, ketchup shortening and vanilla.
- Beat at low speed with electric mixer until 'just' combined.
- Add the eggs and beat at mediumn speed for 2 minutes.
- Spread batter evenly in greased and (if desired - floured) 9x13 baking pan.
- Bake in preheated 350degree oven, 30-35 minutes or until cake tester inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Cool and then frost with your favourite chocolate frosting or (when cake is completely cooled off) dust with confectioners sugar.
- Chocolate or vanilla frosting is recommended.