Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
- Scrub potatoes, place in a large pot and cover with water.
- Cover the pot and boil over medium heat for 25-45 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft.
- Peel the potatoes while they are still warm.
- Then allow them to cool.
- Coarsely grate the potatoes.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir the grated potatoes and the Vacherin Fribourgeois into the onion mixture.
- Stir the white wine into the potato mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- Shape the potato mixture into a thick pancake and brown on each side for about 15 minutes, using the same frying pan.
WOW! This was truly delicious! This requires some skill to flip, but even if you have trouble (I did), simply cut it into six smaller pieces and continue to cook until crisp & brown on each side - it was really a treat. I was able to get the Vacherin cheese and I am very glad I made the extra effort to find it - it is really a wonderful flavorful,rich cheese. My family devoured this and begged for more. Certainly too rich for every day, but worth every single calorie.