Recipe by Dreamer in Ontario
Flavoured with onion and packed with mushrooms, serve this crispy potato dish with grilled chops or steaks. Preparation time includes 4 hour chilling time. Recipe from Foodland Ontario Good Things Grow in Ontario
- 4 -6 potatoes, unpeeled
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 lb button mushrooms or 1 lb cremini mushroom, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary or 2 tablespoons thyme, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In saucepan, cover potatoes with cold water, bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until potatoes are tender yet still firm in centre (about 15 minutes).
- Drain and cool; peel and refrigerate until chilled.
- Meanwhile, in skillet, melt 2 tbsp of the butter and cook onion & mushrooms until lightly browned.
- Transfer to bowl; refrigerate until chilled.
- Grate potatoes into large bowl; add mushroom mixture, rosemary and salt & pepper to taste.
- In 8 inch nonstick skillet, heat about 1 tbsp of remaining butter and 1 tbsp of the oil over medium-high heat; press half the potato mixture evenly over skillet.
- Reduce heat to medium; cook until underside is golden (5 to 7 minutes); invert onto plate.
- Heat about 1 tbsp butter in skillet; slide uncooked side of rosti into skillet; cook until golden (5 to 7 minutes).
- Repeat with remaining potato mixture.
- Garnish with parsley.