Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a lovely accompaniment for plain roast meats such as a leg of lamb. It is really easy to make and,as the potatoes are grated and not sliced, they cook more quickly than in the original French gratin dauphinoise.
- 500 g floury potatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 75 g gruyere
- 285 ml double cream
- 25 g butter
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade.
- Peel and coarsely grate the potatoes, ideally using the grating blade on a food processor or by hand using a sturdy box grater.
- Lightly butter a 1.2 Ltr deep ovenproof dish, such as a souffle dish.
- Mix together all the ingredients, then tip into the prepared dish.
- Dot the top with butter and bake for 40 minutes until golden and cooked through.
We had these for dinner tonight and they recieved a bit of a mixed reaction. Russell and I really enjoyed them, but my son wouldn't eat them as he reckoned they were too creamy. I used low fat cream, so obviously that didn't affect them ;-) These are simple and fast to assemble and deliciously creamy. I also added a pinch of nutmeg and seasoned them very well.
Hi Lene, I was about to submit this but found your recipe. It is a delicious dish.