Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
An all time favourite from Switzerland. Easily made gluten-free by using a gluten-free flour and ensuring that any herbs or seasonings used are also gluten-free . You can also add in some grated carrot, zucchini or cheese if you wish
- 4 medium potatoes
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup plain flour or 1⁄4 cup brown rice flour (use a fine milled flour) or 1⁄4 cup blended gluten-free flour
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder or 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, fresh ground
- Peel and grate potatoes. Place the grated potatoes into a clean kitchen tea-towel and gently squeeze them to remove any excess moisture from the potatoes.
- Place the potatoes into a mixing bowl and add all remaining ingredients. Mix well.
- Heat vegetable oil (or other oil of your choice) in a large pan or skillet over a medium to high heat.
- Drop spoonfuls of the potato mixture in to the hot oil. Check one first and if the mixture does not hold shape -- blend in some extra flour to the remaining mixture.
- Cook approx 15 minutes, turning halfway through cooking. When cooked the rosti should be golden brown on both sides and cooked all the way through.
Yum! Easy and delicious. I used rice flour, garlic powder, and omitted the salt. We enjoyed the addition of the parsley. Thanks for sharing! ZWT7
Really good! The mixture held together very well, and the rosti browned very nicely - brown and crisp. Excellent with brunch today.
Five stars - these were so good, and it was the first time in my whole life I could eat roesti without getting sick! Made them gluten free with a blend of rice flour, potato starch and cornstarch. I'll definitely make them again often, thanks so much for posting :)
Made for ZWT 7.