Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
A traditional salad, often served around Christmas. It is vegetarian and I have added options to make it vegan. Cooking time is for boiling, if roasting, the cooking time will be about an hour.
- 4 potatoes, boiled (or roasted 1 hour, recommend for more flavor)
- 4 carrots, boiled (or roasted 1 hour, recommend for more flavor)
- 4 beets, boiled (or roasted 1 hour, recommend for more flavor- or use pickled beets)
- 1 gherkin, chopped (small sweet pickle)
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- white pepper
- 4 hard-boiled eggs (to garnish) (optional)
- 2⁄3-1 cup whipping cream (or coconut cream)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- water (the beets were cooked in)
- Cook the vegetables in their skin beforehand until just tender and let cool. You can boil or even better, roast the potatoes, carrots and beets(unless you're using pickled beets).
- Peel the vegetables and onion, and cut them into small, equal-sized cubes.
- Chop the gherkin into small pieces.
- Mix the vegetables and gherkin together and season with a little salt and white pepper.
- Whip the cream lightly, season with sugar and vinegar and add a few drops of beet cooking liquid for color.
- Serve the dressing separately.
- Garnish the salad with hard-boiled eggs, the yolks and whites chopped separately and laid in stripes on the top.
I made this as part of a Scandinavian buffet meal. I doubled it and added salt and pepper to the dressing after tasting it. To make it easier for serving, I added mixed the salad with the dressing, and served it on a platter covered in lettuce, with egg wedges and chopped parsley as the garnish. This salad is very good and was well received by all. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
We love beet salad, and the dressing made from whipping cream brought it over the top! This was so good that we actually both ate two servings. Thanks for sharing :)<br/>Made for ZWT 9 Family Picks for The Apron String Travelers