Recipe by Sharon123
A traditional salad, often served around Christmas. It is vegetarian and I have added options to make it vegan. Cooking time is for boiling, if roasting, the cooking time will be about an hour.
Top Review by Pesto lover
I made this as part of a Scandinavian buffet meal. I doubled it and added salt and pepper to the dressing after tasting it. To make it easier for serving, I added mixed the salad with the dressing, and served it on a platter covered in lettuce, with egg wedges and chopped parsley as the garnish. This salad is very good and was well received by all. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
- 4 potatoes, boiled (or roasted 1 hour, recommend for more flavor)
- 4 carrots, boiled (or roasted 1 hour, recommend for more flavor)
- 4 beets, boiled (or roasted 1 hour, recommend for more flavor- or use pickled beets)
- 1 gherkin, chopped (small sweet pickle)
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- white pepper
- 4 hard-boiled eggs (to garnish) (optional)
- 2⁄3-1 cup whipping cream (or coconut cream)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- water (the beets were cooked in)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the vegetables in their skin beforehand until just tender and let cool. You can boil or even better, roast the potatoes, carrots and beets(unless you're using pickled beets).
- Peel the vegetables and onion, and cut them into small, equal-sized cubes.
- Chop the gherkin into small pieces.
- Mix the vegetables and gherkin together and season with a little salt and white pepper.
- Whip the cream lightly, season with sugar and vinegar and add a few drops of beet cooking liquid for color.
- Serve the dressing separately.
- Garnish the salad with hard-boiled eggs, the yolks and whites chopped separately and laid in stripes on the top.