Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is an unusual way of achieving sweet and sour meatballs. I got this recipe from my ex-mother in law. she was great and so was her recipe.
- 3 lbs ground chuck
- 1 packet dry onion soup mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 head cabbage, chunked or sliced thickly
- 1 bottle chili sauce, i prefer heinz
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup oatmeal, uncooked
- In a large bowl, mix together ground chuck, eggs, oatmeal and packet of onion soup until well blended.
- Form into 1 inch meatballs and brown in large skillet until well browned, remove meatballs from skillet with a slotted spoon.
- You can also brown meatballs in a 350 degree F for at least 20 minutes.
- In a crockpot, layer meatballs and cabbage, end with cabbage.
- Pour chili sauce evenly over the meatballs and cabbage, do not mix.
- Then add water evenly over meatballs and chili sauce mixture.
- cook on low for at least 8 hours.
Delicious recipe, however the recipe did not state what to do with the oatmeal. I used it in the meatballs.