Prep 24 hrs
Cook 25 mins
One of the best brownies I have ever tasted! Takes a bit more time, but well worth the wait. Please note that these fudgy brownies should be made a day ahead to ensure proper texture and flavor. Frost and serve the day after you bake them (this is included in prep time).
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar, plus
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 16 pecan halves (for decoration)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter an 8-inch square pan.
- In double boiler, melt the chocolate with the butter over barely simmering water.
- Set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
- In a bowl, using electric mixer, beat together the chocolate mixture and sugar for 1 to 2 minutes until completely combined.
- Add the vanilla and the lightly beaten eggs and mix just until combined.
- Add the flour and beat just until totally blended and has a shiny, velvety look, 1 minute or less.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until a very thin crust forms on the top and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean or with a moist crumb.
- Do not over bake.
- Cool in the pan on a rack until it reaches room temperature.
- When it is cool, cover with plastic wrap and set aside overnight.
- To make frosting: In blender combine the melted chocolate, sugar and evaporated milk.
- Process for 3 to 5 minutes until mixture is firm and shiny (the sound of the blender will change when the mixture has firmed up).
- Frost the brownies with a thin layer of the icing.
- To serve, cut into squares and top each with a pecan half, if desired.
This recipe makes lovely brownies Sharlene. They are very rich, chocolately and oh so fudgy. Definitely worth the extra effort. I was very happy to be able to sample one of these delicious brownie. I made them for my little friends 9th birthday today....he is going to just love them...He always says that I make the best brownies ever so thank you very much for sharing your recipe, its going to help me retain my best brownie spot.