Recipe by Connie K
From the book 'Rosie's Bakery All-Butter Fresh Cream Sugar-Packed No Holds Barred Baking Book'. You can stop at one point in the recipe for Rosie's Award-Winning Brownies, or frost them to get her Chocolate Orgasms. Prep-time is an estimate.
Top Review by splashmt1_7868325
Ignore the other two reviewers. I used to go to Rosie's Bakery in Newton, Ma. I've made this excellent, simple brownie recipe and get rave reviews from family and friends. Bake just a little less than the 35 minutes. Other than that. Don't change a thing. The frosting is the type that needs to set on the brownies. So make sure you leave enough time to bake, cool and then let the frosting set for at least an hour. They are perfect for family or entertaining.
- 3 1⁄2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts, plus
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1 1⁄2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350F; Lightly grease and 8-inch square pan with butter or vegetable oil.
- Melt the 3 1/2 ounces of chocolate and 12 T butter in the top of a double boiler placed over simmering water; Cool the mixture for 5 minutes; Place 1 1/2 cups sugar in a medium-sized mixing bowl and pour in the chocolate mixture; Using an electric mixer on medium speed, mix until blended, about 25 seconds; Scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Add the vanilla; With the mixer on medium-low speed, add the eggs one at a time, blending after each addition until the yolk is broken and dispersed, about 10 seconds; Scrape the bowl after the last egg and blend until velvety, about 15 more seconds.
- Add the flour on low speed and mix for 20 seconds; finish the mixing by hand, being certain to mix in any flour at the bottom of the bowl; Stir in 1/2 cup of the nuts.
- Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan and sprinkle the remaining 2 T of nuts over the top.
- Bake the brownies on the center oven rack until a thin crust forms on top and a tester inserted in the center comes out with a moist crumb, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and place it on a rack to cool for 1 hour before cutting the brownies; Serve the next day (it takes a day for the flavor to set) and don't forget the tall glass of milk.
- For the Chocolate Orgasms, do not cut the brownies, but allow them to cool completely.
- The prepare the frosting, melt the 1 1/2 ounces of chocolate in the top of a double boiler placed over simmering water.
- Pour the evaporated milk into an electric blender and add the sugar and the melted chocolate; Blend the frosting on medium-low speed until it thickens, about 50 seconds (the sound of the machine will change when this process occurs).
- Using a frosting spatula, spread the frosting evenly over the surface of the cooled brownies and allow them to sit for 1 hour before cutting.