Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Nothing is better than a homemade Iced Tea with tones of minty freshness! source: Food and Wine
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup mint leaf, plus 16 sprigs
- 8 cups cold water
- 8 irish breakfast tea bags
- 1⁄4 cup plus 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced, for garnish
- ice cube
- Simple Syrup:.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, water, and 8 mint sprigs and bring to a boil. Simmer the mixture over moderate heat until the sugar dissolves.Remove from the heat and let cool slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Strain the mint syrup into a blender and puree with the 1 cup of mint leaves.
- In a large saucepan, bring the cold water to a boil. Remove from the heat, add the tea bags and let steep for 5 minutes. Remove the tea bags and let cool to room temperature. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate until chilled.
- Pour the tea into a pitcher, add the lemon juice and stir in 3/4 cup of the mint syrup, or more to taste; refrigerate the remaining syrup for later use. Serve in 8 tall glasses over ice, garnished with a mint sprig and a slice of lemon.
- MAKE AHEAD The iced tea can be refrigerated in a covered pitcher for up to 2 days. NOTES To make the tea faster, steep the tea bags in 4 cups of boiling water for 10 minutes; then stir in 4 cups of ice water. Proceed with the recipe.
I halved the recipe and just love the flavor! I used decaf black tea bags. Thanks for posting! :D