Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
My mother got this recipe from Rose, her neighbor, who is now deceased. This was a wonderful way to use up all those green tomatoes instead of letting the frost get them. The amount of jars you get from this is only an educated guess.
- Mix together in crock 2 cups household lime and 2 gallons water.
- Add sliced tomatoes and onions.
- Soak 24 hours.
- Stir often.
- Drain lime solution and wash pickles until clean.
- Add 2 quarts vinegar, 8 cups sugar, and 2 teaspoons salt.
- In a cloth put pickling spice and 1 teaspoon celery seed and tie this up.
- Put in with your pickles.
- Let stand overnight.
- Boil hard 35 minutes.
- Can in hot sterilized jars.