Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A Chamorro favorite, especially at fiestas and barbeques!! Similar to a tangy grilled chicken salad; but with no mayo.
- 1 (3 -4 lb) whole chickens, split in half
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice, adjust according to taste
- 2 teaspoons salt, adjust to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Accent seasoning (optional)
- 2 -4 habanero peppers, chopped, adjust to your taste
- 3⁄4 cup freshly grated coconut meat, NOT THE SWEET BAKING KIND (optional)
- Prepare the bbq grill, either gas or charcoal. Lightly salt the split chicken. Grill the chicken until just done; do not overcook! Set aside to cool completely. Debone the chicken and then chop coarsely.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl and mix thoroughly. Adjust lemon juice and salt according to your taste. This can be eaten right away with warm corn tortillas. This dish is typically served as a side dish at chamorro fiestas and barbeques.
- The traditional way adds fresh shredded coconut (NOT the baking kind). I prefer not to add it just for personal taste.