Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Wonderful Chili recipe that has been in my BIL's family for years... he's a fabulous cook and we love this hearty chili recipe. Enjoy!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1 green pepper, chopped fine
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped fine
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Place 1 tablespoons butter in large frying pan. When hot, place hamburger in pan, break into pieces and brown well throughout.
- Grease a large stock or soup pot with butter. Place meat in stock pot, place heat at medium.
- Add beans (drain), tomatoes (drain), chili powder, salt and pepper, and green pepper.
- In a frying pan, brown onion and garlic in some butter. Add to stock pot mixture.
- Place caraway seeds in a bag and crush into smaller pieces with a hammer.
- Sift flour into a pie pan and sprinkle seeds into the pan. Brown seeds and flour mixture in oven (450 degrees). Be careful, flour burns very easily. Once browned, add seed and flour mixture to the stock pot.
- Simmer chili for at least an hour.
- For full flavor, refrigerate and serve the next day.